- Written for/on: Powershot S5 IS
- Also works on: A470, A530, A540, A550, A570, A590, A720IS, SX10IS, SX100IS, SX110IS, SX240, SD750, SD980 (Ixus 200IS), SD990 (Ixus 980IS), SD1100IS (ixus 80), SD1000 (ixus 70), G11, S90, IXUS85IS,SX40(tested few photos only-didnt crash,worked fast and like a charm) so far (Edit me).
- Doesn't works on: A560 (freeze camera, You need to remove batteries to make it work again),
A720 IS(I tested it with allbest firmware and works!) and some others ; Update 7/02/2009 : With the latest version of CHDK ( autobuild ) , verison B for PowerShot S5IS it causes camera crash. update 4/03/2011 Tested on SX200IS, freezes camera on load, takes one picture then have to remove batteries and delete script.
This is basically a very fast and responsive motion detection script. This will definitely solve your problems if you want to catch lightning (thus the title) or anything fast, however some objects will blur when the light conditions are insufficient. Enjoy this script!
The version "080205" listed below seems outdated. See version "080914" (released 14 September 2008) in this forum thread
- CameraFeatures (chart indicating motion-detection-response-time for many cameras.)
- Software#Motion_Detection (software for testing camera response time.)
Save as "Lightning script.bas" to your /CHDK/SCRIPTS/ folder
rem Author: fudgey - based on BarneyFive's MD Lightning6 and MLuna's Motion Detect scripts rem Tested on A570IS, Allbest build 16 rem For bursts, set the camera in continuous shooting mode and set j>0 rem If j>0 in single shot mode, you will see your shot for j seconds on screen. @title Fast MD with Burst/Preview 080205 @param a Columns @default a 6 @param b Rows @default b 4 @param c Threshold (0-255) @default c 10 @param d Compare Interval (ms) @default d 1 @param e Trigger Delay (0.1 sec) @default e 42 @param f Rows to Exclude @default f 0 @param g Pix-Step(speed/accuracy adj) @default g 8 @param h Reg Mode(0-no,1-incl,2-excl) @default h 0 @param i Measure Mode (1-Y,0-U,2-V) @default i 1 @param j Burst/Preview (sec,0=off) @default j 0 if a<1 then a=1 if b<1 then b=1 if c<0 then c=0 if g<1 then g=1 if f<1 then f=1 if j<0 then j=0 e=e*100 j=j*1000 print ">[";a;",";b;"] threshold: ";c x=30000 if j>0 then goto "md_burst" :md_singleshot press "shoot_half" t=0 do md_detect_motion a, b, i, x, d, c, 1, t, h, 1, 1, a, f, 0, g, e until t>0 click "shoot_full" goto "md_singleshot" :md_burst press "shoot_half" t=0 do md_detect_motion a, b, i, x, d, c, 1, t, h, 1, 1, a, f, 0, g, e until t>0 press "shoot_full" let X=get_tick_count :contloop let U=get_tick_count let V=(U-X) if V<j then goto "contloop" release "shoot_full" goto "md_burst"