LUA is useless CHDK bloat.
Would that those who love LUA were as helpful to everyone but themselves, as those who wrote the lengthy and comprehensive tutorials for uBASIC.
Is anyone going to even start on LUA syntax and tutorial sections? Is this it? This piece of crap half-attempt to try to describe it? Why are commands ended with () characters? Why must print strings be enclosed in () characters? How are all the various loops defined and used? Where are all the examples and scripts to explain all the ways that LUA may be used? It appears as if LUA was included to benefit just one person that wanted it included in CHDK, and the hell with anyone else. Right? Until then, LUA is just a piece of shit that was promoted by some useless self-serving geek.
- Lua 5.1 Reference Manual
- reyalp 11:59, 12 October 2008 (UTC)
Do we need a syntax page ?Edit
IMO, users should refer to the official lua documentation for things like the syntax and keywords. There are also plenty of lua tutorials on the internet. The official documentation is more complete and better proofed than anything we are likely to provide here. Differences from standard lua should be provided, as should simple examples.
Except for the fact that numbers are a 32 bit int rather than a double, the core of CHDK lua is it is very standard.
CHDK specific functions need to be documented, but that isn't the language syntax.
- reyalp 04:08, 21 October 2008 (UTC)
- Yes, right; but especially for 'beginners' and people with only some uBasic experiences (also the non-native english speakers) the official lua documentation is not so easy to read, so i think with this short, first introduction most people can start with Lua scripting, then they will switch over to the official documentation...
- Lua newbies first ask some primary question (about the syntax) like 'how can I comment my source', 'does case matter ?', 'how can I combine 2 strings', so I think with an small article with some rudimental Lua information like this we can make their start into the world of Lua a bit easier.
- So i suggest to keep this page (maybe under a better name) and collect some more Lua basics here...Fe50 23:47, 24 October 2008 (UTC)
- Well we need all kinds of "hello worlds" imo, some useful example scripts. msl over at the german forum cooked some great scripts tonight, maybe we can use these, we'll see. PhyrePhoX 01:34, 25 October 2008 (UTC)