Is formatting required for Autoboot? w3stfa11 03:35, October 28, 2009 (UTC)
- No - not if the first (boot)partition is already formatted with FAT12 or FAT16. Fe50 12:38, October 28, 2009 (UTC)
FAT format for 8GB card. Edit
I'm trying to format as FAT an 8GB card with Cardtricks and am being told that Windows cannot complete the format process. What am I missing here?
- The FAT16 file system is limited to 4GB, a partition with more than 4 GB can't be formated with FAT16.
- You can format the card with FAT32 in the camera from the Canon menu. This creates a single FAT32 partition for the complete capacity of the card; CHDK then can only be started with the manual loading method (with "Firmware Update" from the Canon menu). To start CHDK automatically when the camera powers on, you have to use a multi partition setup with a FAT12 or FAT16 formatted "start" partition. Since some cameras don't support the manual loading method (ATM these cameras are: SX20, G11, SX1), you'll also use a partitioned card.
- You can also create a single partition with max. 4 GB on the card, FAT16 formatted & CHDK-bootable; the remaining capacity will not be available then...
- Fe50 04:56, June 30, 2010 (UTC)