This page describes the status of planned and current releases, along with a history of past release.
Builds of current and past releases are available from the Downloads page.
The release cycle is described in more detail at Release Strategy.
Detailed change history is available from svn commits page https://www.assembla.com/code/chdk/subversion/commits
Currently the unstable development branch. The 1.4 development planning thread is open. Some of the planned and implemented features are listed here.
- long file name support in file browser / selector
- enhanced script @parameter header including compressed format, Boolean values, table support, and full variable names in Lua. Upper and lower case variables now available as @param variables in uBASIC
- Lua scripts now "compile" when loaded to reduce memory needed (original script text no longer stored in memory)
- enhanced UI functions for touchscreen equipped cameras - touching menu areas and window buttons directly now works
- rework of CHDK color palette handling to allow separate palette definitions for each camera model - transparent grey color defined for OSD background use
- updates to GPS functionality for cameras with built-in GPS
- improvements in console handling when script running including console not timing out and console reset to "on" state when script errors are encountered.
- upgrades to Lua RAW shooting hooks to allow analysis of RAW buffer during shooting
Current stable, released Dec 18 2014. 1.3 development planning thread. Implemented new features are listed below :
- Address some of the longstanding issues with focus overrides - especially in scripts. Discussion: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11078.0
- Hooks to allow Lua to run at specific points in the shooting process. Discussion: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11081.0
- Increase available memory, allow CHDK to allocate from multiple pools. Discussion: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10886.0
- Eye-fi support
- Splitting the CHDK configuration files into 4 parts for better management
- Improved Lua cfg access from lua
- Allow scripts to configure script interrupt key
- Improved script control of OSD via set_draw_title_line()
- Various clean-ups to which OSD icons get displayed and when
- Improved script functions for working with APEX96 exposure values
- Allow scripts to set shooting exposure parameters inside half shoot
- Added font scaling to Lua draw_string() function
- Added OSD font scaling and OSD editor upgrade to support it
- Added option to launch the current script on entry to <ALT> mode
- Added script function that locks out Canon automatic exposure adjustments
- Added support for > 64 second exposures all cameras (thanks koshy and nafraf)
- Added support for USB remote capture on many more cameras (thanks koshy and nafraf)
- Added os.idir, iterates over directory listings without loading the whole list in memory.
- Fix long standing FsIoNotify crash issues http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6179.msg111410#msg111410
- added user choice for where RAW/DNG files are saved (with jpg, seperate DCIM folder, seperate RAW tree), also fixed naming of seperate DCIM folder
- added choice of DNG crop (full, active, JPG)
- added ability to enable a high speed timer to improve USB remote timing precision and accuracy
- added battery third terminal remote trigger capability (enabled for selected cameras only)
- added hotshoe control capability (for cameras with hotshoes of course)
Previous stable, released July 30 2013. No future changes will be made.
Features added were :
- intermittent Lua crashing bug fixed (finally. Also backported to 1.1)
- Improved UI - discussion thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8151.0
- menu items renamed and sometimes moved for clarity
- input of numeric values simplified
- the "Disable Overrides" menu item is now understandable
- Tv override input value can be in Ev step, seconds or HHMMSS format
- Remote capture over USB
- Improved DNG performance, now very close to framebuffer raw
- Support raw operations on DNG
- Improved memory usage by moving more code to modules
- Fast integer based trigonometric functions for Lua
- new editor for User Menu
- scripts can be added to the User Menu
- menu option to enable Lua native calls
- menu option to disable keyboard shortcuts
- improve console mode with menu options to extend the visibility time of console or review (scroll back) console output
- loadable palette values allow a better range of colors in the UI (not implemented on all cameras)
- auto operation of internal / external flash enabled when other exposure values are in "M" mode
- enhanced UI for script parameters : @value allows use of named input values rather than just numeric
- scripts can be set to always use the default parameter values in the code rather than stored parameters
- ISO input for override, bracketing and auto-ISO now use approximately the same units as Canon UI ("market" ISO)
- addition of an annoying "help" window that continuously pops up in <ALT> mode until you figure out how to disable it from the CHDK menu
Previous stable, released July 25 2012. No further changes will be made.
Major features added in this release include
- Loadable binary modules
- Re-write of USB remote code
- "Live view" over the CHDK PTP Extension
- Integration of chdkde features (actually got added to previous stable too)
Obsolete, Released Feb 2012.