The Canon Powershot ELPH 500 HS (IXUS 310 HS in europe, IXY DIGITAL 31S in japan) was released in February 2011
BETA is available from the autobuild server for firmware versions 1.00a , 1.01a, 1.01b and 1.01c.
→ Camera Specifications:  Canon USA
- DIGIC IV image processor with iSAPS technology
- DryOS operating system
- 12.1 megapixel back-illuminated CMOS, 1/2.3 inch
- Lens: 24-105mm (35mm equiv), 4.4x optical zoom, F/2.0 - F/5.8
- Face Detection / 9-point AiAF
- Image stabilization (lens shift type)
- Display: 3.2 inch LCD Touch Screen, 461,000 pixels
- Built-in flash
- Video: 1920x1080 @24 fps HD, 1280x720 @30 fps HD, 640x480 @30 fps, 320x240 @30 fps
- Super Slow Motion Movie (L) 120fps, (M) 240fps, Miniature Effect (HD, L) 6fps, 3fps, 1.5 fps
- Video format: MOV (H.264 + Linear PCM (Stereo))
- HDMI mini connector
- Storage: SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, Eye-Fi, MMC, MMCplus, HC MMCplus
- Power: Li-Ion NB-6L, ~180 shots / 4h (CIPA)
- Weight (including battery): 185g
- Dimensions: 101 x 55 x 25mm
This camera uses a touchscreen interface, so you cannot use the usual ver.req/vers.req approach to figure out the firmware version. Forum member zeno has written an application that can figure out your firmware version from the EXIF information in a picture you have taken with the camera: ACID .
Once you have CHDK on the card, to start it manually you turn on the camera by pressing the "play" button while holding the zoom knob to the left. This will add a "firmware update" menu item, which loads CHDK into RAM only.
The CHDK UI doesn't make much use of the touchscreen (which is good since all the menu items are tiny) but it does provide buttons down the left- and right-hand side to stand in for the physical buttons this camera doesn't have. In particular, the directional buttons are on the right and the "Set" button is on the left. This camera can use a large single-partition SD card for booting.
- ROM start address: 0xFF000000
- Firmware 1.00A, by philmoz (full 16M dump, dumped with cBasic udumper ): box.net share
- Firmware 1.01C
- Firmware 1.01B (forum link)
Download location for firmware dumps:
- Port has been started for firmware 1.00a - http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6634.0