(Page under construction) This page describes how you can use CHDK to capture fotos and videos of birds.
Pose Your Birds
Bird feeders are a great way to attract birds to your camera.
- Build a feeder that forces the bird to perch at a set distance from the camera.
- Site the feeder in sunlight but watch for the camera casting a shadow.
- Leave the feeder out for a while without the camera so they get used to it.
- Use a bird cutout on a clothes peg to frame your shot.
Here is a very simple feeder made from coat hanger wire and an old bottle top.
Lazy CHDK Birding
This is a very easy way to get great bird fotos from your CHDK camera.
- Set up your feeder as above with your camera near it on a tripod.
- Turn on Mute in your Canon menu to prevent scaring the birds.
- Lock the subject distance using CHDK menu>Enhanced Photo Operations>Override Subject Distance.
- Load script "interval.lua" and set interval to 1 second.
- Start script running.
CHDK will start taking fotos which you can sort thru to find any goodies like these.
DaveCam - Video events recorder that records all bird visits and combines all visits into a single file.